I want to incorporate some baby sign language when Taylor is old enough. When should I start and what should I reference? Should I buy a book like this one to learn? Or is it a waist of money? Any body have any tips on this that has had experience?
I did sign language some with Jacob. I didn't start until he was probably 9-10 months old. I used this website:http://www.mybabycantalk.com/index.aspx Most of the time he came up with his own sign, but it worked wonders for us not yelling at each other. I've also heard of some people getting videos (you can even check them out at the library) to see if she likes them. good luck!
Hey summer! You probably don't remember me but we were in Orchestra together at Green Valley. It's good to know that you are doing well. YOur little baby girl is so adorable. ABout the sign language I recommend Baby Einstein Vido "Baby Signs." I started with my son at around 6-7 months. He didn't catch on until about 10-11 months but it was amazing. I didn't get frustrated at him as much and he would just tell me when he was hungry. Even though he is 2 now he still loves the video and does sign even though he can say the words.
I liked Baby Einstein, Signing Time, and http://signingbaby.com
I taught Taylor the signs myself by watching the shows with her. It was pretty easy and she caught on really fast. I taught her basic signs. More, Please, Eat, Milk, Baby, and Thank You.
I am a big believer in teaching babies how to sign. We taught my first daughter Brynlee but not Rylee. The reason we did not teach Rylee was because I felt although Bryn was able to communicate with us when she was 8 months old, I felt it slowed down her speech. She talks fine now but she didn't start talking a lot until she was 2 1/2 (which was later than all her friends.) Ry on the other hand did talk sooner but her terrible two's went well into her threes and it was hard. Teaching a baby to sign is suppose eliminate the terrible two's and it totally did with Bryn. I now wish I would have taught Ry. We did Signing Time. She is on PBS (more advanced though.P We bought the DVD's and would play them while she would eat starting around 6 months. You need to enforce it though. Bryn's first signs were more, milk, dog, and baby. You will be amazed at what your baby can learn. I look at babies now that are 8 months and think they don't understand anything but when you teach them how to sign you realize they totally understand, they just don't know how to say it. Sorry this comment is so long!
This is a good topic to get feedback on. I think sign language helps them to develop their speaking language as well. They are so smart and get their ability to use their large motor skills before fine motor skills and speaking skills. So they can communicate with you which cuts down on a lot of their and your frustration.. less tantrum maybe. It just feels good to be able to know what your child wants, it's cute to watch too. There are only a few that are essential like: more milk again eat please play don't like all done sleep
We used the Signing Time DVDs by Rachel Coleman you can purchase them from LDS bookstores or go to www.signingtime.org
hey summer, i am a huge believer in baby sign language. i knew a little sign language before but there are a few really great books out there. you don't have to do a bunch fo them just the important ones: milk more please mommy daddy hungry tired things like that. Keegan still uses them in conjunction with talking. i think it is great take care. loura
hey! My friends are also believers in signing. I plan on teaching Rex...let me know how it goes with Taylor. ( I was thinking I would start around 8-9 months)
Hey guys I have a little experience with sign language. Ashlie and I got the Signing Times videos they are great. They teach you a lot of information in a short amount of time. The good thing is once your baby is watching t.v. she will love the Signing Times videos.
9 comments:
I did sign language some with Jacob. I didn't start until he was probably 9-10 months old. I used this website:http://www.mybabycantalk.com/index.aspx
Most of the time he came up with his own sign, but it worked wonders for us not yelling at each other. I've also heard of some people getting videos (you can even check them out at the library) to see if she likes them. good luck!
Hey summer!
You probably don't remember me but we were in Orchestra together at Green Valley. It's good to know that you are doing well. YOur little baby girl is so adorable.
ABout the sign language I recommend Baby Einstein Vido "Baby Signs." I started with my son at around 6-7 months. He didn't catch on until about 10-11 months but it was amazing. I didn't get frustrated at him as much and he would just tell me when he was hungry. Even though he is 2 now he still loves the video and does sign even though he can say the words.
I liked Baby Einstein, Signing Time, and http://signingbaby.com
I taught Taylor the signs myself by watching the shows with her. It was pretty easy and she caught on really fast. I taught her basic signs. More, Please, Eat, Milk, Baby, and Thank You.
I am a big believer in teaching babies how to sign. We taught my first daughter Brynlee but not Rylee. The reason we did not teach Rylee was because I felt although Bryn was able to communicate with us when she was 8 months old, I felt it slowed down her speech. She talks fine now but she didn't start talking a lot until she was 2 1/2 (which was later than all her friends.) Ry on the other hand did talk sooner but her terrible two's went well into her threes and it was hard. Teaching a baby to sign is suppose eliminate the terrible two's and it totally did with Bryn. I now wish I would have taught Ry. We did Signing Time. She is on PBS (more advanced though.P We bought the DVD's and would play them while she would eat starting around 6 months. You need to enforce it though. Bryn's first signs were more, milk, dog, and baby. You will be amazed at what your baby can learn. I look at babies now that are 8 months and think they don't understand anything but when you teach them how to sign you realize they totally understand, they just don't know how to say it. Sorry this comment is so long!
This is a good topic to get feedback on. I think sign language helps them to develop their speaking language as well. They are so smart and get their ability to use their large motor skills before fine motor skills and speaking skills. So they can communicate with you which cuts down on a lot of their and your frustration.. less tantrum maybe. It just feels good to be able to know what your child wants, it's cute to watch too. There are only a few that are essential like:
more
milk
again
eat
please
play
don't like
all done
sleep
We used the Signing Time DVDs by Rachel Coleman you can purchase them from LDS bookstores or go to www.signingtime.org
hey summer, i am a huge believer in baby sign language. i knew a little sign language before but there are a few really great books out there. you don't have to do a bunch fo them just the important ones:
milk
more
please
mommy
daddy
hungry
tired
things like that. Keegan still uses them in conjunction with talking. i think it is great
take care.
loura
Summer, let me know what you find out about this as I have been wondering the same thing.
hey! My friends are also believers in signing. I plan on teaching Rex...let me know how it goes with Taylor. ( I was thinking I would start around 8-9 months)
Hey guys I have a little experience with sign language. Ashlie and I got the Signing Times videos they are great. They teach you a lot of information in a short amount of time. The good thing is once your baby is watching t.v. she will love the Signing Times videos.
Post a Comment