Thursday, April 2, 2009

Allergic to NUTS?

On Wed, April 1st, we had a baby shower at my house and there were lots of yummy treats.  Taylor was being a stinker and wouldn't go on a walk with 'Daddy', or be upstairs with him, so he brought her down to enjoy all the 'women'.  She was dibbling on a bunch of treats.  There was one in particular that had finely crushed nuts in them.  It was a banana bread/bar.  We picked out the nuts and she ate some of that.  Tyson took Taylor outside for a few minutes, but it wasn't even 5 minutes later, when she came inside, that I noticed a red mark on her face.  There were 2 distinct ones, but they looked like possible mosquito bites, then I noticed a small one on her ear, and as the time went on, it kept spreading.  I told Tyson to take her upstairs and put some eczema cream on her face and get her ready for bed.  A few minutes later, he brought her down in her diaper and this is what we found underneath her clothes.




Tyson went to the store to grab some baby benedryl.  We gave her 1/2 tsp, which knocked her out.  She had red raised splotches on her skin and her feet and fingers were red and swollen. She wasn't scratching her skin at all and surprisingly, she slept the whole night.  In the morning, it looked a little better, but then it got worse again.  So, we went to her pediatrician.  They said it is a good possibility that she may be allergic to tree nuts.  Tyson thinks it might have even been a bug bite that gave her hives...who knows?  We will do tests in a few weeks, but until then, the Doctor gave us a Rx to clear things up and an Rx for an epi pen just in case.
  If she is allergic to nuts, I wonder if she will be for life???

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Poor baby! We have been through all of this, too. I did a whole blog post on my Summer breaking out in massive hives. They are awful. If she is allergic, most do grow out of it by the time they are 2. Good luck! She's so sweet! When are you coming to visit me? I think my summer would like to meet the woman she is named after! =)

Audrey Taylor said...

Yes, that definately looks like an allergic reaction. I think a lot of the time people can outgrow allergies to things. You will just have to see.

The Wrays said...

Poor thing ... that is so sad. Hopefully it is something that she will grow out of.